European Thomas

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

C'è una camera libera? Rooms in Roma

C'è una camera libera? Any rooms available? You better learn that sentence very fast when going to Rome. Or even better: Book ahead, especially in September and October, peak seasons for tourists. Weather is not as hot as in July and August, so lining up for several hours for the Vatican Museums or St. Peter's Basilica is less painfull.

I didn't book ahead, because I never did during my travel. Always counted on available rooms. But Rome isn't Sarajevo, so you better get used to highly developped tourism and a lack of cheap rooms. 10 pm on a Thursday. I tried out 7 hostels and hotels near the main station. All full. Desperate. Thought about taking the next train to some Italian village. Or about sleeping in Ancient Roman ruins, risking to get arrested by the tourist police.

Then I got back to the main station, trying to meet again that strange looking Italian guy, promoting hostel beds, when I got out of the train. And so I gave my destiny into his hands. Walking through Roman streets. Small talk. He usually drives around rich tourists through Rome.

Here we are: He actually rents out a part of his private appartment. Some extra money, no need to declare this activity. 10 people in one room, close to the noisy main street and the 24-hours-bakery with all locals meeting for a night snack. In the room, I find myself surrounded by 9 barely legal Austrians and Germans. Drinking, smoking pot, preparing for a Reggae party, somewhere in the Roman outskirts.

Fortunately I was tired enough to resist. Earplugs helped to spend the 2 nights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home